Virus scan

Some manually verified files

2646 comments

1. DavidJCobb
    DavidJCobb
    • premium
    • 367 kudos
    PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE REPORTING BUGS OR ISSUES

I want to help you with any issues you experience with this mod, but there is some information I might need first -- and some questions you may have that I can answer in advance.

Before telling me about a bug, please double-check that you're on the latest version of the mod, and please check the locked bug tracker to see if I've already confirmed your bug on my end. (I also tend to update entries in the bug tracker to note when a fix is ready and slated for release as part of the next update.) If you decide to provide a load order, please put it in a spoiler tag if possible, or host it on Pastebin or a similar site otherwise. After commenting about a bug, please click the "TRACK" button in the mod header, to make sure you're notified about any updates that have been released.

How to report a crash
    Spoiler:  
    Show
    When reporting a crash, please describe how you got the game to crash, and try to be as specific as you can. I highly recommend that you also collect a crash log for me, and upload it to Pastebin or a similar service. In particular, if the crash doesn't consistently occur in response to you doing something specific in-game, then a log file is the only thing I can use to investigate it. Likewise if it's something most likely particular to your machine or modding setup (e.g. crashes on startup; if those were a consistent issue with the DLL, then I'd have noticed them, no?).

Issues with Xbox controller support
    Spoiler:  
    Show
    If you are experiencing issues with Xbox controller support, please double-check that you don't have any software interfering with it. For example, Steam has built-in controller settings ("Xbox Configuration Support") that have been reported to interfere with NorthernUI. A user-recommended fix is to right-click Oblivion in your Steam Library, go to the game's Properties, and then under "Controller" settings, choose "Disable Steam Input."

If your PlayStation controller does not work with NorthernUI, it is because NorthernUI relies on Windows's XInput API to react to controller input. PlayStation controllers aren't compatible with XInput out of the box; you will need to use software like DS4Windows to bridge the gap.

You may notice that hotkeys don't work with a controller. This is because I wasn't able to fully decode how Bethesda implemented hotkeys during the time I actively maintained NorthernUI. A few other mod authors have come up with their own solutions; here's one.

If you can't move, but all other inputs work both in and out of menus, then double-check Oblivion's INI settings. Make sure that fJoystickMoveLRMult and fJoystickMoveFBMult are both set to 1. These options scale your movement with the joystick, and I've had users who had them set to 0 for some reason.

If your movement tends to abruptly slow down when running in some or all directions, it may be due to hardware variation or defects in your Xbox controller. Some controllers can't reliably register 100% joystick tilt in all directions; some can't register it in any directions. This can cause problems with Oblivion's movement system, which was designed around PC play. Oblivion scales your movement speed by your joystick tilt, but it also switches between two base movement speeds ("walking" and "running") based on your joystick tilt; if your joystick tilt can't reach 92% or more, then you can't run. NorthernUI offers an input viewer that can be used to diagnose this problem, and a run sensitivity option that can be used to work around it.

If you're using the Skyrim theme, then you should be able to access a settings menu with an option to enable the "HUD Input Viewer." Otherwise, you'll have to manually edit the settings file at Data/OBSE/Plugins/NorthernUI.ini, to change the bShowHUDInputViewer setting in the Features category to TRUE. After changing this setting and restarting the game (if it was still open), you should see an input viewer along the bottom of the screen during play. This viewer shows the exact state of both your joysticks, with three numbers: one for the X-axis value, one for the Y-axis value, and a number at the center for the overall joystick tilt (the distance from the center of the stick). Try running in different directions, with the joystick tilted as far as possible, and see what the lowest value you register is. A properly functioning joystick at a perfect diagonal tilt should register (+/-)70 for the X- and Y-axis values, and 100 for the magnitude.

If it is indeed the case that your movement can't reach 92% or more in some directions, then you'll want to lower the run sensitivity. This setting controls the joystick tilt percentage at which your character switches from walking speed to running speed. Lowering it means that you'll start running sooner, pretty much. If you're using the Skyrim theme, this setting should also be in the in-game menus, but if it isn't, then you can edit the settings file at Documents/My Games/Oblivion/NorthernUI.ctrl.txt. You'll want to change the iSensitivityRun setting.

The game is still using vanilla menus
    Spoiler:  
    Show
    If your problem is that the game is still using vanilla menus (possibly with the NorthernUI HUD clock showing even overtop the main menu), then you are most likely running into a well-known issue with Oblivion. Oblivion actually pays attention to file timestamps: if the "Date Modified" on the vanilla *.BSA files is more recent than the "Date Modified" on NorthernUI's files, then Oblivion will use the vanilla files. There are three ways to fix this: you can install SkyBSA, which was developed to redesign the game's file handling; you can download any program that can change file timestamps, and use the program to make sure that the vanilla BSA files have an older "Date Modified" than your mods (some mod managers do this automatically); or you can use PowerShell scripting.

Issues using NorthernUI's gamepad support with other UI mods
    Spoiler:  
    Show
    If you install NorthernUI's vanilla theme, you can then override it with another UI mod. However, there are some issues that may occur.

If the gamepad behaves strangely in menus when using DarNified UI, it will be because of incorrect keyboard navigation code in DarNified UI. There are cases where DarN mistakenly coded some menu items to treat the "down" arrow key as "I have been clicked on" rather than as "move to the thing below me," for example. Bethesda designed the UI so that the gamepad would use the same code as keyboard navigation, so these mistakes will affect gamepad navigation. I cannot create compatibility patches or fixes for any mods that make this mistake and have closed permissions.

I may look into incompatibilities with small(ish) UI mods (and mods that alter UI controls for gameplay reasons), but strictly on a "no guarantees" basis. These will also come second to bugfixes and feature improvements for NorthernUI itself. Feel perfectly free to report any conflicts between NorthernUI and your favourite widgets, tweaks, and extensions, but please don't get impatient. (Also, linking to the mod(s) in question will help me find them faster!)
  2. gasspoll
    gasspoll
    • 0 kudos
    first sorry for my English, is there any way to switch camera from free camera to oblivion or skyrim camera style without entering the menu first, or is there any posibillity to add lock enemy during battle when we are using free camera, I love to use free camera but it is hard when using free camera during the battle 
  3. CountV10
    CountV10
    • 0 kudos
    Which setting is making it so I can't spin my camera around while holding the mouse wheel? It's definitely this mod affecting it as when I disabled it it's fine.
    1. maybakhbereh
      maybakhbereh
      • premium
      • 16 kudos
      edit the following lines in NorthernUI.ini located in your OBSE\plugins folder
      under "[XInput] ; For gamepad support."
      bEnabled=False (Default is True)
      bDontUseEvenWhenPatched=True (Default is False)
      take note that you won't be able to use a controller natively. so if you wanna use a controller, undo the changes. it'll work fine if you rotate with the joystick, just not with the mouse wheel
    2. CountV10
      CountV10
      • 0 kudos
      Solved! You are a saint.
  4. EvieJ
    EvieJ
    • supporter
    • 0 kudos
    Hi, Ive tried both versions and neither lets me adjust the look sensitivity in-game. I tried adjusting it with the NorthernUI.ini file, but it changed once, and now wont change it at all, despite repeated changes and saving the file. How am I meant tyo be adjusting it? (Everything else works fine, it's just the camera speed I want top change)
  5. tooski1
    tooski1
    • 0 kudos
    everything is with the controller is functional with the vanilla version but it doesn't actually show the controller buttons on screen and the settings for the mod isn't even an option its simply not there. because of that I can't change the sensitivity or anything else. any suggestions?
    1. Tallera257
      Tallera257
      • 0 kudos
      Having the same issue. On steam deck.
    2. 89ermis
      89ermis
      • 0 kudos
      I think it appears on the skyrim version of the GUI look only.
  6. 89ermis
    89ermis
    • 0 kudos
    Not sure if anyone can help me here, but worth a shot. I bought a GameSir G7 SE Wired Controller because it's a lot lighter than the usual xbox controller. It works fine but strafing and diagonal moving is as slow as molasses.
    Can someone help me out?
  7. Quercia92
    Quercia92
    • 2 kudos
    Omg i might replay oblivion now thanks to this mod
  8. XliquidsquidX
    XliquidsquidX
    • premium
    • 3 kudos
    All I get is the clock on the top right, the rest of the UI is vanilla. What am I doing wrong?
  9. fardawg
    fardawg
    • 0 kudos
    I'm having a problem with the sneak indicator (Skyrim tyle). The eye always stays open even when I am clearly hidden and there is nobody around. I don't have any other mods so there isn't a conflict with something else.  Never mind. I just misunderstood how the indicator worked. 
  10. corona832
    corona832
    • 0 kudos
    Please forgive my poor English. The issue of not being able to use the controller has been bothering me for a long time, until I discovered your mod. But my Chinese translation mod and NorthnUI are not compatible, which will result in all text not being displayed correctly. I have tried using Visual Studio to edit NorthnUI.dll and changing the UTF-8 encoding to GBK in “RT-MANIFEST” . Although this can make Chinese appear correctly, but the controller cannot be used. I really hope you can inform me of the correct way to display GBK codes. I look forward to your reply!
  11. Acar251
    Acar251
    • premium
    • 0 kudos
    Scrolling menus is "doubled". D-Pad scrolls 2 options at a time and the Joystick needs to be pushed very lightly to scroll 1 at a time.

Any help?