Last updated at 14:49, 1 Jun 2015 Uploaded at 19:34, 14 Feb 2014
Dialogue Tweaks, Fixes and Restorations
REQUIRES OBSE AND SHIVERING ISLES.
Oblivion shipped choke full of voiced dialog, to the joy and woe of many a player, and with a dialog selector system prone to mistakes that leave a small chunk of all this dialog unspoken... I aim to remedy that.
What I've done here is go through many of the generic topics, finding a few instances where lack of Random flags or somesuch errors prevented NPCs from speaking a few lines. The novelty of hearing these for the first time may bring you unknown happiness. Or not. At least I tried.
I also changed a few things around, for what I consider more consistency. A lot of things actually. This mod is a bit haphazardous in what it does, but you'll find most of it has to do with dialog.
Following is a list of changes made by this mod, grouped as best as I can. It is kind of important to know how things work, isn't it?:
Guard Dialog Overhaul
- Arrest dialog now uses the previously unused CrimeForceJail global variable, the bounty over which you have no option of paying the fine. This is 4000 gold by default. Note that it is lower than the previous hard set limit of 5000, but you can simply change that global to your liking.
- You can now turn yourself to a guard if you (you, not them) enter dialog with them when your bounty is under the iCrimeGoldAttackMin game setting. This is the bounty over which guards will run to arrest you when they detect you no matter where you commited the crime, 500 by default. Turning yourself in, you'll now hear unused dialog and will receive a discount to your fine, set by the CrimeTurnDiscount global variable, this is 0.1 by default, which is 10%.
- You can now bribe your way out of an arrest, if either your speechcraft is over 50 or you're a member of the Thieves Guild. This is only possible if your bounty is under the TGPriceBribe global, 500 by default, and you have to pay that amount to clear your bounty no matter what it was. A master of speechcraft pays half of this.
- Captains of the guards will no longer mention any 'captain' when talking with their hirelings.
- When you bribe a guard, or a guard with disposition over 90 offers to pay your fine, that guard loses 10 disposition.
- When detained by a Saint or Seducer guard as Sheogorath, you now have the option of going to jail, for the heck of it. If you choose (and are able) to pay reparations, the crime fee will be deducted but you get to keep any stolen items and won't be moved away from where you are. It's good to be the Madgod.
- Added some dummy unvoiced dialog in case a mod is adding non-Imperial guards and isn't providing them with a suitable arrest greeting, to prevent them from dialog greet-locking you. It is under a quest with priority 41, so other mods' crime dialog should take preference.
These changes apply to the Dark Seducer and Golden Saint guards from the Shivering Isles as well, except those can't be bribed.
Trespass Greetings Restoration
When trespassing into private property, you will no longer be able to enter normal conversation with the residents. Instead, they will demand that you leave, with more urgency the more you tarry. The global TrespassDialogRestore determines whether this feature is active or not.
Disease Dialog Restoration
- Restored four hellos that NPCs can speak to the PC and other actors who are diseased. The original Disease dialog quest used the GetDisease function which doesn't work at all, and the dialog had bad data headers and flags. I've attached to the quest a cell scanning script that distributes an identifying token to sick actors found. This token is removed whenever the actor (you) heals from the disease. I've also upped its priority from 5 to 29 so NPCs will speak them whenever a disease is spotted.
- Edited the beggars' hellos to link to other hellos, so that NPCs will speak this disease dialog to them. Also edited a few responses that only Imperial males were supposed to utter to them. Now, when a beggar asks an Imperial male guard for coin, they will shoo them away.
- Added a global to determine the likeness of NPCs noticing you that you're sick in their hellos, DiseaseNoticeChance. It is 10 by default, which is 10% chance.
Vampire Dialog Restoration
A few mods already do this, but why not another light take on it.
- Restored hellos to a vampire player in the last stage of vampirism, with NPCs becoming terrified of him as he walks past them.
- Restricted the terrified hellos and greetings to a vampire player to not be uttered when the NPC has 100 disposition, or the player is wearing the Cowl of Nocturnal.
- If a vampire player is detained by an Imperial guard and he can't pay the fine, the guard will not give the option of going to jail and will enter combat directly.
Thieves Guild Thievery Requirements
Edited the Thieves Guild Independent Thievery script and dialog, like so many 'higher thievery requirements' mods do. But this time, you set the requirements! These are now controlled by 10 global variables, named TGStolenGoodsxx, with xx going from 01 to 10. By default it goes 01: 250, 02: 500, 03: 1000, 04: 2000, 05: 3000, 06: 4000, 07: 5000, 08: 7500, 09: 10000 and 10: 15000.
Combat Taunts Tweaks
A few changes to a few taunts so they make more sense or are more situational:
- "Jump on my sword while you can!": only if the enemy is using a... uhhh... sword...
- "Ha ha ha! You move like a pregnant cow!": only if you have less than 70 Speed attribute. Though of course, you could be feinting it all, your unsurpassable pregnant cow moves...
- "I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than you!": will not be uttered to creatures. Which includes, but is not limited to, other mudcrabs. Ok so in general you don't taunt a bear or lion while you're fighting it in bloody melee, but I don't want to go through all taunts adding this check.
- "What's the matter, getting tired?": only used if your fatigue percentage drops below 50%. Your cue to take it easy...
- "Why... won't... you... die?": only uttered if the enemy's fatigue percentage drops below 50%. Your cue to PUNCH HIM IN THE FACE.
- "Ha! You'll never take me down!" and "I'm just warming up, you pathetic worm!": only uttered if the enemy's fatigue percentage is above 50%. Fight harder!
- "You should have paid the fine!": no longer uttered by guards if you can't pay the fine. The Man pins you down and mocks you for it, man...
Misc Dialog Changes - General
- Changed the shop Invest topic you get at 75 mercantile. You can now set the amount of gold you will invest by changing the PerkMercantileInvest global variable, 500 by default.
- Edited all dialog pertaining to the master trainer quests so that they check your base value in the skill, not your current one, so you can't cheat your way into them by fortifying your skills.
- Edited the responses that Dark Brotherhood members gave you when you asked them for info about a contract. These used a disposition threshold of 30 to determine whether they gave you the nice answer or the mean one, so unless you went out of your way to be repulsive to them they would never mutter the bad ones. You can now change this threshold with the DBcontractInfoRefusal global variable, which is also 30 by default.
- Edited the khajiit highwaymen holdup dialog. They will now give you a free pass if your base Speechcraft is over 50 and your clothing give you the appearance of being poor enough. Also fixed alterations to their Agression being permanent (supposedly).
- Edited hellos of the ICPalaceFaction so that they are only uttered by guards, and only in the Palace District.
Misc Dialog Changes - Really Misc
A few of these are 'just in case' changes that can help:
- Checks for the Sacellum priests Arctus and Dervenin so that their greetings berating you for your flame of choice are no longer uttered once you're the Madgod.
- Same change for Nanette Don saying she'll never talk to you again after betraying Relmyna.
- Changed Skingrad rumors roasting Valandrus Abor to not be mentioned by his chapel colleagues.
- Edited the guard's greeting to the Gray Fox, removed the Bribe option from it since it's now used elsewhere (see top section)
- Edited Greeting and hello by Lerexus Callidus after his quest is over to only be used in Leyawiin. Taken from Tamriel Inmersion Experience mod by Arthmoor.
- Edited greeting from Fathis Ules after the Sins of the Father quest is over with the lawful ending, so he no longer dismisses the player after he attains Master Thief rank in the TG.
- Edited a pair of trespass responses, "For the love of Azura..." and "By the Nine Divines..." to not be used in the Shivering Isles. You gotta respect the god in charge of where you live dude...
- Edited three dialog flow questions referencing the Lucky Old Lady and the Abandoned House of Bravil and Cheydinhal respectively to ensure they are only used in the respective cities.
Placed a likely missing Random flag in the following dialog flow responses (questID - topicID - formID):
- DispositionBlockers - INFOGENERAL - 02AB8B
- Generic - FollowupNegative - 024233
- DispositionBlockers - Question - 02AB8A
- Generic - TRANSITION - 02A85C
There are no longer changes to idle animations in this mod since version 1.21, since my changes to them were anything but QA. I recommend you to use PrinceShroob's Dialogue Idles for that.
Unfortunately, this mod runs low in the compatibility department. Many others may change dialog responses or even idles for various important reasons, so in general I'd advise to load DialogTweaks.esp relatively early in your load order. It's better to miss some of the stuff this mod does than to break something in another mod it overwrites.
Overall, load it after OOO, since the new Thievery Requirements feature are an update from those in that mod.
A few things added in the mod can be customized with globals in the console or in the provided ini at Data\Ini\Dialog TFR Costs.ini, entering 'set nameOfTheGlobal to x'. Here's a summary of globals and their default values:
- CrimeForceJail (4000): bounty amount over which you have no option to pay the fine. NOTE: this is a vanilla global, but unused in the vanilla game, which only checked for 5000
- CrimeTurnDiscount (0.1): percentage discount for turning yourself to a guard, from 0 to 1.
- DBContractInfoRefusal (30): disposition under which you'll hear the mean responses from Dark Brotherhood members when asking them for help.
- PerkMercantileInvest (500): amount of gold invested with the expert mercantile perk.
- DiseaseNoticeChance (10): chance for NPCs to notice you that you are diseased when you approach them with an active disease.
- TrespassDialogRestore (1): global controling the enabling of the trespass greetings, which block all possible dialog with the residents while trespassing.
- TGPriceBribe (500): gold needed to bribe guards to forget about a crime and max crime gold they can forgive. Remember you also need to be in the TG or have 50 Speechcraft.
- TGStolenGoods01 to 10: amounts of fenced gold required for each advance in the Thieves Guild questline.
No permanent changes to your savegame shall occur from using this mod, just install or uninstall DialogTweaks.esp at your leisure.
Made with the Construction Set Extender. "CS Extender. Because modding should be fun."