Last updated at 7:58, 4 Aug 2017 Uploaded at 20:16, 12 Apr 2016
Thanks for the hot files guys, you rock!
Hello everybody! This is a tiny mod that adds a new voiced (with boops and beeps) creature companion to the game, featuring high-resolution textures and custom animations. Both FNV-only and Tale of Two Wastelands versions are available.
The FNV-only version requires no DLC, whereas the TTW version obviously requires Tale of Two Wastelands and all DLC for NV. The mod has been cleaned with FNVEDIT and all. An optional appearance pack with a hat is available as well.
As always, you should always make a backup save before installing ANY mod, in case something goes wrong.
Buddy Chicken is a new, friendly sidekick to accompany you on your travels. Has a handful of cool unique animations and his wheels actually spin as he moves! No companion wheel, so he doesn't count towards your total companion number. A unique perk will be granted to you whenever he is active, increasing your Perception by 1.
A magnet-powered toy in dire need of a fission battery can be found in Goodsprings (or Springvale if you're using the TTW version). Once you activate him, you can either choose to enable his AI routines to have him follow, or leave him in your inventory as a misc item. You'll also get a controller to summon him if he gets lost. The controller will only work while his AI routines are active, however.
Buddy Chicken cannot be fired - if you don't want him around, ask him to wait somewhere out of the way or put him in your inventory. You also cannot trade items with him, because he's so small that there isn't much you could stuff in there anyway.
He is tagged as essential, silent, invulnerable and ghost, so he will not draw enemies' attention. He will not attack - rather, he will run away and cower in fear (special animation included!) until danger is over. He will probably still set up traps, however, because he only has like 128KB of RAM and isn't very smart.
Eager to help, Buddy Chicken can do a few things for you. He dances for your amusement, waits anywhere for as long as you want, and once a day can give you a random item that his high-powered magnet has picked up. These items range from ammo to food and assorted junk, because those magnets are serious business. In return, you can kick him... although that will cost you some Karma, you monster.
As this was something I made for myself, I WILL NOT MAKE ANY CHANGES. I will not add to it or subtract from it. The mod is offered as-is.
An optional mesh replacer wearing a tiny baseball cap is available to protect Buddy Chicken from the sun and heat. Just loose files. Extract it to your Data folder and enjoy.
Buddy Chicken's cap uses vanilla textures, so if you use the behatted version I'd recommend installing Baseball Cap - Retex by Aogara for some variety.
The FNV version of the mod places Buddy Chicken in Goodsprings, on the bench outside the Prospector's Saloon.
In TTW you can find Buddy Chicken atop a slide in Springvale, across from the gas station.
To install, extract the contents of your downloaded file to your "Steam/SteamApps/Common/Fallout New Vegas/Data" folder. Then activate the mod through your preferred launcher by ticking the checkbox next to the esp. Or you can use your mod manager of choice to download the mod automatically. To uninstall, simply delete the files from your Data folder, and you're good to go. Have fun!
Thanks to my dearly beloved for flat-out refusing to let me blow a month's worth of food on the original toy, as that made me even more determined to get it... even if it was a digital version!
Special kudos and tipped fedoras to ondrosik for the music, Xazomn for Buddy Chicken's wonderful body textures, and mindboggles for the smoother wheels, new skeleton and fancy animations! You guys are the best! <3
- I hate [thing] and [thing] and [thing]! You should have done [thing] and [thing] instead! And while you're at it remove [thing] and [thing] and add [thing] and [thing]! And [thing] is NOT LORE FRIENDLY! FIX THIS!
- This isn't a restaurant. If you don't like something, use the console to disable it, remove it with the GECK or FO3EDIT, or sell it off. I am done with the mod and won't be making any changes. In other words...
- The new textures are too low res and ugly! I cannot stand this!
- Except they're not. Buddy Chicken has a 2k diffuse texture paired with 1k normal map. The model itself is a bit wonky when it comes to UV mapping, yes, but there isn't anything I can do there, sorry. In other words...
- I hate this thing not attacking enemies! Change it!
- Is this compatible with [mod]?
- Dunno. Buddy Chicken is pretty self-contained, but If you find any conflicts, please let me know so I can list them here.
- How come the mod looks different in my game than your screenshots?
- I am using several retextures in my own game, SweetFX and Cow Food - or - Yet Another Grass Mod, so results may vary.
- The mod is awful/glitchy/buggy/etc. I am going to uninstall it and I must let everybody know!
- Sad to see you go~
- The mod sucks!
- So does a vaccuum cleaner