- img 3 loading...
- img 4 loading...
- img 5 loading...
- img 6 loading...
- img 7 loading...
- img 8 loading...
- img 9 loading...
- img 10 loading...
- img 11 loading...
- img 12 loading...
- img 13 loading...
- img 14 loading...
- img 15 loading...
- img 16 loading...
- img 17 loading...
- img 18 loading...
- img 19 loading...
- img 20 loading...
- img 21 loading...
- img 22 loading...
- img 23 loading...
- img 24 loading...
- img 25 loading...
- img 26 loading...
- img 27 loading...
- img 28 loading...
- img 29 loading...
- img 30 loading...
- img 31 loading...
- img 32 loading...
- img 33 loading...
- img 34 loading...
- img 35 loading...
- img 36 loading...
- img 37 loading...
- img 38 loading...
- img 39 loading...
- img 40 loading...
- img 41 loading...
- img 42 loading...
Last updated at 3:06, 10 Mar 2014 Uploaded at 11:21, 3 Nov 2012
File of the month november 2012
Now ver 2.03
German version available here
Spanish version available here
Russian version available here
Chinese version available here
Japanese version available here
Her great-great-grandmother made success in Oblivion.
Now the great-great-granddaughter is ready to hit Skyrim!
Now the great-great-granddaughter is ready to hit Skyrim!
Character, story, dialog and voice by Emma
Main Coding and AI by Amgepo
Textures, models and coding by Lycanthrops
Additional voice acting by SirCharleytheKhajiit, Lycanthrops, Jezdamayel, Anna Fernlund, Thynar and Majamikol.
Also features Special music for Vilja by Adrien Ortone (KindaInappropriate) (lute) and Bosa123 (flute) and
more than 50 lines of chatter dialog written for Vilja by Discworld author Sir Terry Pratchett.
FAQ-section: For frequently asked questions, please check here
New add-on: Vilja in Solstheim
WARNING: Installing the update might wipe out ALL of the items in Vilja's extra storage bags. Clean out all her extra bags BEFORE installing the update (might be a nice time to let her do some shopping).
Known incompatibilities with follower mods and overhauls: none, but if you are experiencing problems, please consider changing the load order between Vilja and your overhauls.
- Don't start the mod from a save game where your character already is inside the Bannered Mare in Whiterun! This might prevent the mod from starting properly!
-Use a game patched to the last update. Depending how outdated your Skyrim version is, all the scripts, meshes, textures and sounds of this mod could not work (she will be naked, bald and irresponsive, or simply non-existing).
Alt3rn1ty has includded smaller textures for Vilja, available in Vanilla reduced textures thread
First meeting with Vilja - introduction and voice sample.
Vilja walkthrough by Morann MacKay. Morann MacKay have made + 20 parts of his walkthrough serie for Vilja. You'll find them all on Youtube.
Vilja means willpower
Vilja in Swedish means willpower, guts, determination. And that is something Vilja has got lots of!
When she inherits a mysterious bottle from her grandmother, the young Solstheim girl decides to go to Skyrim to find out the truth about its content. But, things haven't turned out as Vilja has hoped. After travelling the hostile roads of Skyrim for months with her horse Bruse, she still hasn't found the only person who can help her, and now someone has stolen the bottle! She may be brave, but now she needs help!
You'll find Vilja in the Bannered Mare in Whiterun. Will you help her? Will you let her come along with you, and will you help her in her missions? Yes, over time it will turn out that she also has another, secret, reason to be in Skyrim. In fact, if you let her tag along with you, you will find that her quests will mingle with your quests for a very long time to come, and you will learn to know quite a few interesting and fully voiced side-characters.
Vilja is a companionmod with quests, rather than a questmod with a companion. So, what is the difference? Well, you should never feel "forced" to play Vilja's quests instead of your own. They should be a natural, integrated part of your life in Skyrim, but last for a long time.
Vilja doesn't only have her own agenda - she also has her hopes and visions, her thoughts and opinions, and a background story that she will share with you over time.
Her dream is to become a bard, but as all women in her family traditionally become alchemists, this is what her family expects also of her.
She isn't the best fighter in the world (why would she then need your help?), nor the best marksman, and when it comes to spells, she starts with only a teleport spell and basic healing. However, this will surely change over time, and she will become more and more efficient. She also has a broad range of other features, and she will certainly change your lonely life in Skyrim, as she is talkative, curious and very unpredictable.
Vilja Original Lute Compositions by Adrien Ortone (Kindainappropriate)
New in ver 2.0:
- Romance-track with wedding and wedding-party. Meet Vilja's family - several new npcs are included.
- New questline will allow Vilja to become a "real bard"
- Unique Bard chants for Vilja will add further to her fighting options once she has become a "real bard".
- Radiant neverending questline for the Bards College once Vilja has become a "real bard"
- Further radiant quests occasionally and randomly initiated by Vilja.
- New, full, optional wardrobe system with several possibilities: a) Decide exactly what Vilja should wear b) Predefine what she should wear during different situations (adventuring, city life, at home etc) and tell her to auto-change depending on the situation c) let her totally decide on her own (like in ver 1.5). (Manual for the wardrobe is included)
- Oblivion-style smalltalk with other npcs when Vilja is wandering around (not following you)
- Scenes with followers of more voicetypes: Female Young Eager (for instance Brelyna, Jordis) and Male Eventoned (for instance Marcurio and Faendal).
- Additional scenes added for previous voice-types and for other reasons. Totally + 50 new scenes.
- She will occasionally find loot on her own when dungeoncrawling.
- More roleplay-features (you can for instance "reply" to what she last said)
- She won't fight her friends - or rather, fights will stop almost instantly.
- corrections of various minor issues, like the nightgown clipping, Bruses speed, her habit to comment when you bump into her while sneaking
- more ai-improvements, more comments, more things she "knows" about and can do (actually too many things to list here, and some things I won't tell as they are supposed to be nice surprises)
- better way to recognize when the player is a vampire
- the appreciated "dine-out" feature from Oblivion will return, although only after you have completed he original quest.
- warping can be toggled on/off (will be helpful for Dragonborn players who wouldn't want her to follow when you read those books)
- lots of typos have been cured.
- more than 200 of the oldest voice recordings (with old microphone) have been redone.
Changelog for ver 2.01:
- Corrected Tindra's behaviour so that she should no longer cause any problems with the wedding-ceremony
- Added an "emergency-backup" for the wedding ceremony: Should things not work at the ceremony, you can restart it by talking to Keerava.
- Items from Vilja's small random radiant quests will no longer show up in dungeons until she has started these quests (note: if you have started the game with ver 2.0, the items are already placed, but they are harmless)
- For the radiant bardquests, you can now change quest locations. We can not fully prevent radiant quests to take place in modded areas or in the DLC areas. But, if you get a quest location that you find is unfair, talk to Wilbert regarding the quest location and he will give you a new one. This is valid for all quest-locations apart from the first one (find Vilja's first quest book).
- If the radiant tasks for the bards college refuse to start, Wilbert will have a topic that allow you to reset and restart the quest (available once you have completed the first questline with four chant-books)
- Corrected an error in Beata's scripts that made it impossible to get the Lovers Comfort bonus if you used Beata to state that you are married to Vilja.
- If you say "No" to Vilja during the wedding ceremony, she will now be aware of this and react like any normal woman would. The wedding guests will leave the temple as soon as you talk to Vilja outside the temple.
- Improved sneaking behaviour
- Improvements of the wardrobe system (winter wardrobe, clipping issues etc)
- better control of Vilja's melee/ranged behaviour.
- Improved meshes and textures for the Wolfcry armor.
- Removed two scripts that should not have been in the bsa.
Changelog for ver 2.02:
-Various minor changes of the wardrobe system.
Changelog for ver 2.03:
- The radiant bardquests have been fully reworked and should no longer spawn items prematurely. (Please note! If you are upgrading from ver 2.0-202 and you have already been doing radiant tasks for the college, the old quest will keep on running paralel with the new one for some time! I didn't turn this off, as I can not get rid of the already spawned items. It's better that you can do the quests. Once you have reached a certain stage of the questline, it will stop. You can see the difference between the new and the old quest; Wilbert's topic for the old quest is "Tasks for the bard college" and his topic for the new is "More tasks for the bard quest". You can no longer get new quest-locations for the old radiant quest (as this would spawn further items), but you can change inconvenient quest locations in the new radiant quest by talking to Wilbert).
- Another 65 low-quality voice entries for Vilja has beeen re-recorded.
- The silence- and haste- chants will now work properly and can safely be used again.
- Vilja's reset-spell will now work on any actor. If the actor is not Vilja, it will perform some beneficial and harmless operations, like evaluate package and reset animations and - most important - fix the magicka bug that the silent chant previously would cause!
- In spite of all our efforts to cure the infamous Skyrim hug-kill bug, there are still reports of incidences. If the hug-kill bug plagues your game and kills the PCcharacter, he/she should be auto-resurrected. As a side-effect, he will also do a fasttravel to "recover his bones". And his eyes will remain closed until you exit and reload the game.
- Further improvements and adjustments of the wardrobe system.
More about Vilja
With multiple quest lines (including a romance-track for romance and marriage), unique abilities and around 5000 lines of voiced dialog, Vilja should keep you entertained for many, many game-hours to come. But her dialog and features have evolved so far that even her creators can't keep track of it all. There are many surprises tucked away in her dialog topics and we encourage you to just try them all. This is just a brief overview of her features and what differs her from other companions/followers.
- Around 5000 lines of fully voiced dialog. Vilja is by default very talkative, but if it is too much for you (which would be understandable), you can easily adjust the settings in her dialog (Main topic: Travel together). She won't be upset with you even if you tell her to keep completely quiet.
- Improved following behaviour. In order to make Vilja follow as well as possible, she will warp to you whenever she gets stuck. This will only happen when you are not watching, so if you notice she is stuck, just turn away from her and continue to walk. (The warping can now be toggled on/off for situations where you don't want her to follow). Vilja also has a summon spell that you will have access to as soon as you have completed the very first part of her quest. (It is activated with the shout-key). If you should lose track of her, you will be able to find her by activating her quest - a questmarker will then show you where she is.
Vilja has the Lightfoot perk, so she is unlikely to be the victim of common traps.
By default, Vilja will follow you with a behaviour similar to other followers, but through dialog you can choose to allow her to sandbox while following (similar to the Dawnguard companion Serana), which will make her a little more lively. The sandbox behaviour can be toggled on and off in dialog (Main topic: Travel together)
- Disposition system. Her disposition towards you will change over time and depend on your actions towards her and towards the rest of your environment. If she is really mad at you, she will surely let you know, but you will also spot that her current disposition towards you will be mirrored in what she says and how she responds.
Of course there are also ways to improve her disposition. For instance, she enjoys a sweetroll or something to drink. You can give her a compliment, thank her or give her a gift, and sometimes this will lead to an increased disposition. And as a bard-wanna-be, she will of course like it if you care to listen to her music.
- Detailed fighting instructions. You can tell Vilja if she should participate in fights or stay out of trouble. You can also tell her whether her fighting style should be ranged or melee. Later on she will learn to use different spells and chants, and you will then be able to finetune which of these spells and chants she should use. As soon as you finished the very first part of her quest, you will receive three "commands" (activated with the shout-key) that you can use to give Vilja quick-instructions during battle: Vilja Attack!, Vilja Stop Fighting!, Vilja - Stop Fighting and Follow me!
- Configurable features. Within her topic "Travel together" you can configure various things regarding her behaviour, her
wardrobe, her chatter, essential/protected, warp/not warp etc. You can also configure some of her habits.
- Healing. From start, Vilja can only heal herself during combat, but later on she will also be able to keep you healed.
- Sparring. You can practice your fighting skills together with her in a friendly combat. You can also let her practice fighting skills with your housecarls, or you and your housecarls can practice sparring. With ver 1.4, you can even do sparring on horseback.
- Crafting. Different from vanilla followers, Vilja can actually use crafting stations! Provided, of course, that you give her the correct material. She may not use them for the same purposes as you, though. Here is a list of what she will do:
Cooking pot: Vilja will cook various meals for you, depending on what ingredients she has in her inventory
Alchemy station: Vilja will make various potions, depending on what ingredients she has in her inventory.
Enchantment station: Vilja cannot do anything useful at enchantment stations.
Forge: Vilja can use the forge to create lockpicks for you, provided that she has at least one Iron ingot
Workbench: Vilja can use the workbench to fletch arrows, provided that she has at least ten pieces of firewood and an ingot of iron, steel, silver or dwarven.
Tanning rack: Vilja will use the tanning rack the same way as you do. Give her pelts, and she will turn them into leather. If she has leather but no pelts, she will turn leather into leather strips.
Sharpening wheel: Vilja cannot do anything useful at the sharpening wheel.
Smelter: Vilja can use the smelter the same way as you do, provided that she has ore.
Chopping block: Vilja can, like other followers, use the chopping block to chop wood.
(Note that the crafting stations have to be correctly set up and using the vanilla IDnames in order for her to use them; some modded stations might not work)
Vilja can also do some simple crafting on the fly, without any crafting stations:
- Simple potions. If you can provide one ingredient, Vilja can make simple potions like healing, restore magicka, restore
stamina and cure diesease without having access to an alchemy station. She can also learn to make new potions if you give her a recipe.
- Cooking. If Vilja has appropriate ingredients in her inventory, she can cook you a meal on the fly. Once you are married, she will also offer not only the "Homecooked meal" but also a special bonus dish that is else not available in Skyrim.
- Torches. If she has firewood and linenwraps, she can make torches for you.
- Horseriding and Mounted combat. Vilja is not a standard follower but an unique stand-alone companion. She has her own horse, which she will summon and use whenever you are riding. You can also tell her to ride when you are not riding. With ver 1.4, we incorporated mounted combat and dynamically speed adjustment for Bruse. It has since then been improved.
- Lead the way. Vilja doesn't always have to follow your lead. YOU can also go adventuring with HER. Yes, you can actually be her companion. She might suggest it, or you can suggest that she takes the lead. She might show you places you've never seen before! It's a very different and rewarding roleplay-experience to travel side by side instead of having a companion always five steps behind you. This feature was originally introduced with Oblivion Vilja, but Skyrim Vilja will do the same thing.
- Teamleader. You can ask other followers to follow Vilja instead of you. That way, you can act more strategically in a dungeon. Or you can simply use it to send Vilja and other followers to wait for you in a different location. Or just let them go on a stroll together.
- Quest-related chatter. Vilja knows what is happening around her, and will, once you have travelled together for a little
while, start to comment on some of the vanilla-quests you are doing. This will be further expanded on in later versions. (She is currently rather oblivious of what is going on within the Thieves guild and the Dark Brotherhood).
- Place-related chatter. Vilja will always have opinions on the places you are visiting. She will often tell you spontaneously, but you can also ask her through dialog.
- Interaction with other followers. Vilja interacts with many of the vanilla followers on various levels, from basic to quite advanced. For the best experience, I suggest that you go exploring with Vilja and either Lydia, J'zargo, Jenassa, Jordis or Brelyna, Marcurio, Aela, Farkas or Argis, and you will soon find that Vilja not only interacts with them - they will reply, and sometimes they will be involved in quite lenghty discussions. Similar but more generic interaction will happen also with Iona, Ria, Benor, Stenvar, Ahtar, Illia, Uthgerd, Adelaisa, Anneke Crag-Jumper, Kharjo, Aranea, Faendal and with any modder-made follower that use one of the following voice-types: Female Eventoned, Female Commander, Female Darkelf, Female YoungEager, Male Brute, Male Khajiit, Male Eventoned.
With some other popular vanilla followers, Vilja has simple interaction, i.e. Vilja will know that they are there and sometimes comment on them, but they will not respond and there will be no discussions between them. These followers are Mjoll, Erik the Slayer and Calder. Interaction with other followers, hopefully also custom-made follower with custom voices, will be expanded in future versions.
- Creating a home. You can tell Vilja where you want her to live, and when she is in this location and in wandermode, she will adapt a daily schedule that involves everything from cooking and cleaning to playing music, reading books, discussing with other followers and going for walks, or even to an inn. She will of course have special dialog for when she is at home.
- Making a campsite. Since ver 1.4 Vilja has her own tent and can make a Frostfall-compatible campsite and campfire.
- Reading books. Vilja will be happy to read books for you. From start, she only has one book that she can read, but she will tell you about other books that she'll read for you once she has them.
- Collecting and cleaning. Vilja can help you to collect various items like arrows, weapons and, of course, ingredients. You can also tell her to "clean up the mess" and she will then appear to use a broom to do so.
- Spellcasting. From start, Vilja can only use some simple spells for healing and teleporting. As her quests progress, she will eventually learn a range of other spells. Nothing really fancy, though, as she is not supposed to be a spellcaster. You will be able to finetune through dialog what spells you want her to use. New in ver 1.4: Once Vilja has learnt the frist basic spells through her questline, you will be able to teach her more spells (although not every spell) by giving her spelltomes.
- Chants. Once Vilja has become a "real bard", she will be able to use completely new bard chants that affect either the player or the enemies and can be used to improve battle tactics.
- Shopping. You can tell Vilja to go shopping for you, and either determine what kind of wares you want her to buy or leave that decision to her (good way to raise her disposition, although you might not always be so impressed with what she drags home). She has a special container in her inventory where you can place things that you want her to sell for you - the outcome of her bartering will depend on her speechcraft skill. Vilja will sometimes go shopping spontaneously. This will only happen when you are in one of the main cities and she will always tell you in advance.
- Skills report. In the main topic "Let's just talk for a while" you can ask Vilja about her current skills. This will also expose how much she currently likes you.
- Play games. Vilja is childish and she enjoys playing games. You can race her to various destination, you can play rock, paper, scissors and you can practice sparring with her.
- Playing music. Vilja is a bard-wanna-be, and is always happy to play for you. From start, she can only play the drums, but after completing some of her quests, she will be able to play flute and lute as well. Thanks to Adrien Ortone (KindaInappropriate) (lute) and Bosa123 (flute) she also has her very own music that she can play.
- Playing for the audience. Once you have completed some of Vilja's quests, she will be able to entertain the audience in some of the inns, and she will actually even earn some money on it! It is up to you to decide when or if she should play for the audience.
- Roleplaying features. To enhance the gameplay for roleplayers, there are many features included that aren't vital functionality-wise. You can for instance buy her drinks at inns, thank her if she has been of great help, you can tell her when you give her something precious, you can give her compliments, give her a hug (after you have learnt to know her better), and if you are romancing her, you can tell her that you love her. She will also occasionally ask for your opinion on more serious and in-depth matters, where you can pick choices according to your character's personality (or, of course, the choice you hope will please her). In ver 2.0, you can also "reply" to what she just said (topic in the main menu).
- Introducing an infamous Solstheim tradition. I think those who played Oblivion Vilja will grin and immediately guess what we have been up to... For those who haven't got a clue, we suggest that you head for one of the inns, buy Vilja a few drinks and give them to her through the special dialog option that show up only inside inns. It shouldn't take many drinks before she will show you what the Solstheim people do when they are celebrating.
- Romance and marriage. Vilja finds the whole idea of using a silly amulet as some kind of advertisement quite repulsive. To her, love is about friendship and trust. If you want to romance her, you will be able to do so, eventually, but only after you have learnt to know her better and her main mission in Skyrim is completed. The romance will eventually lead to a wedding ceremony and wedding party, and you will meet and interact with Vilja's whole family.
- Cyrodiil Vilja. Through e-mails, forum-posts and PMs, I have learnt that there are many players who want Vilja to be the very same person as in Cyrodiil. Therefore, I have added in a special option for those who want to roleplay this. At the end of the very first part of her quest, you will have a dialog-option that allows you to decide that she is your long-lost friend or lover, and if you choose this option, her backgroundstory and some other aspects and comments will change accordingly.
The Jenna Channel featuring Vilja
Change-log for previous versions can be found here
Vilja and Mike Sierra wishes a Merry Christmas!
Adrien Ortone (KindaInappropriate) - Unique Lute music for Vilja
Bosa123 - Unique Flute music for Vilja
Musiklustgarden - Performing weddingparty dance "Trotto" by unknown www.musiklustgarten.de/index.htm . Permission by Dr.Michael Mészár.
SirCharleytheKhajiit - voice acting
Jezdamayel - voice acting
Thynar - voice acting and testing
Anna Fernlund (Qod Ho) - voice acting
Majamikol - voice acting
Salkavalka - writing a number of chatter entries for Vilja.
Matchstik23 - playtesting, trouble shooting, feedback and valuable suggestions
MrDarkSim - playtesting, trouble shooting, feedback and valuable suggestions
Croc - playtesting, trouble shooting, feedback and valuable suggestions
Obliviotter - playtesting, trouble shooting, feedback and valuable suggestions
Elite403 - playtesting, trouble shooting, feedback and valuable suggestions
Jet4571 - trouble shooting, feedback, valuable suggestions
Concepts2a - playtesting, trouble shooting, feedback and valuable suggestions
Alt3rn1ty - playtesting, trouble shooting, feedback, valuable suggestions. Reduced textures, additional eye-types
Princess Stomper - playtesting, trouble shooting, feedback and valuable suggestions
Eend123 - playtesting, trouble shooting, feedback and valuable suggestions
Crashpilot - playtesting, trouble shooting, feedback and valuable suggestions
Manleysteel - playtesting, trouble shooting, feedback and valuable suggestions
Loriel - proofreading, playtesting, trouble shooting, feedback and valuable suggestions
Apachii - Vilja's hairstyle is based on one of the wigs from her mod. skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/10168
Runspect - food resources from his modders resource packs. skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/26132/?
Xtudo - noise reduction of voice files
Laptopman66 - valuable suggestions
Phinix - Components from the No Friendly Fire mod skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/22538 have been reworked and used for Vilja.
CDCooley - for his innovative work on Oblivion Vilja, which has been a corner-stone when working out how to implement her great-granddaughter.
Terry Pratchett - Approx 50 unique chatter entries, as well as numerous valuable suggestions for Oblivion Vilja (among them Vilja Leading the Way) that we have re-used for her Skyrim great-granddaughter.
Vilja guest-stars in the latest Skyrim web-comic!
Want to give Vilja a new hairstyle or haircolor? There are several optional versions available in the files section - for screenshots, see screenshots section.
Vilja The Blacksmith song by KindaInappropriate
Mods that will add to Vilja :
Campsites in Skyrim by Jet4571.
Follow That Actor by Spooky.Fx.
The Hairstyler by Lycanthrops.
OCR - Omnisway Clothing replacer by Wavion2 has a special optional Vilja in Skyrim-patch.
You can ask and comment also in Bethsoft forums