Last updated at 20:46, 19 Jan 2017 Uploaded at 23:48, 13 May 2012
JAWS: Deadly Oceans
aka Deadly Slaughterfish v2
Click Here for German translation (by Verodor)
Click here for Chinese translation (by cynicalling)
Click here for Spanish translation (by AtanEivil)
Eight new deadly saltwater species of slaughterfish ("jawfish") with high-definition textures and custom sea-creature sounds, special scripted abilities and dynamic stats; new hand-placed spawn areas around the northern coast of Skyrim, plus 11 new custom combat music tracks to set a "jaws-like" feel in the deadly oceans of Tamriel. This mod features an in-game configurator for enabling or disabling the creatures and music.
This project took several months and many late nights to develop. If you would like to provide feedback of any kind, please use the commenting system. This will be the benchmark for further updates. Thank You.
Featured in "Bits 'n' Bobs"! Look at 4:32 in the video.
Custom High Definition Textures
Includes a retexture of the vanilla slaughterfish by TheRagMan as well as seven new textures produced using high resolution photographic stock. All textures are 2048x2048 high-definition.
Eight New Fish Species
Eight new deadly saltwater species of slaughterfish ("jawfish"). Each species can be enabled or disabled in-game!
- Black Jawfish: a huge saltwater slaughterfish with TheRagMan's excellent texture.
- Night-Angel Jawfish: a beautiful exotic variety of marine slaughterfish that glows in the dark. It regenerates health and stamina quickly while glowing, so it's best to avoid this creature at night. In the daytime the creature can't glow, so it won't regenerate, and its max health and stamina will be half of normal.
- Great White Jawfish: this huge beast looks similar in color to a great white shark and is equally deadly. The Great White Jawfish can mark you for death, so be warned!
- Rock Jawfish: this fish has camouflage coloration similar to a stonefish. It has a venomous bite and is immune to poison. Rock Jawfish venom is long lasting and will slowly deplete your health, stamina and magicka. It will also give you double vision.
- Coral Jawfish: a beautiful exotic spotted variety.
- Emperor Jawfish: another colorful species, but don't let its pretty looks deceive you. Although it has a weaker physical attack, this jawfish is charged like an electric eel and will electrocute anyone that gets too close. It is, of course, immune to shock.
- Alligator Jawfish: a large lethal Jawfish with alligator-like skin. It might be slow, but it's powerful attacks will knock you down for the count.
- Regal Jawfish: a huge fish with colorful tiger-like markings and an aggressive attack.
Unique Creature Sounds
Each type of jawfish has a unique eerie sea-creature sound as well as scripted vocalizations, custom attack sounds and death gurgles. The noises they make will also help you track them in the murky water.
New Stats and Abilities
- Jawfish are up to 10 times the size of regular slaughterfish and have high level stats. They are likely to kill you in two or three hits, so be careful.
- Scripting is used to dynamically change some stats and abilities under special conditions.
- Immune to fire attacks (it's not logical to be able to set them on fire when they are in the water).
- Immune to stagger effects and paralysis. This was necessary to prevent some weird Havok physics and animation glitches on the enlarged creatures.
- Movement speed has been greatly reduced to reflect their large size. This gives you a good chance of getting away before they kill you.
- Custom shaders and image space modifiers are used for some of the new creature effects such as the Night-Angel Jawfish glow and the Rock Jawfish toxin effect.
- In addition, the regular slaughterfish have been beefed up from Level 1 to level 30 with an unarmed attack of 50, to make them more of a challenge. They will appear in-game as "Deadly Slaughterfish" when the mod is active. They are also immune to fire attacks.
New Spawn Areas
The new Jawfish will spawn all along the north coast of Tamriel and also within estuarine harbors such as the Windhelm and Solitude docks. These areas are marked in red on the map below. More than 100 spawn points have been hand-placed using a custom leveled list, so there's no need to Wrye Bash this mod and it won't conflict with other mods that modify the default leveled lists.
New "Jaws" Combat Music
This mod includes 11 exciting new tracks with a "jaws-like" feel to them (courtesy of Kevin MacLeod and Free Loops). Seven of these new tracks replace the regular combat tracks when fighting Jawfish only. You will still hear the default tracks when fighting other creatures or NPCs. The other 4 tracks are "suspense" tracks played sometimes when a jawfish has been sighted. You can easily enable or disable the custom music in-game!
You will find a new book in your inventory called "JAWS: Deadly Oceans". Activating this book brings up a configuration menu that allows you to selectively enable or disable each species of Jawfish on-the-fly as well as the custom combat music! The book can also be read as a regular book, giving info about each Jawfish species.
- The slaughterfish loading screen has been updated to include the new jawfish.
- The wall-mounted slaughterfish trophy has been retextured as an Alligator Jawfish.
- I've scripted the jawfish corpses to self-delete after 30 minutes. There's no need to clutter Skyrim with these huge carcasses and it should help to avoid bloating your savegame.
- A custom help screen for this mod has been added to the Skyrim help menu.
- I found a bug in Tamriel cell [25, 37] in vanilla Skyrim while building this mod (salmon spawning high up in the air). This mod fixes it.
- The mod is packed into a BSA file so there are minimal loose files to clutter up your Skyrim installation. This makes installing and uninstalling this mod a breeze. A single texure subfolder was required for some jpg images necessary for the configurator book. I found that these didn't work if packed into the bsa archive.
The new jawfish are self-contained as a new race, so there shouldn't be any compatibility issues with them.
The new combat tracks have been specially configured using a custom MusicType, so they will not conflict with other custom music mods. The custom music can be enabled or disabled using the in-game configurator book.
If you are using the mod "Water and Terrain Enhancement Redux" by OpticShooter, you should load "WATER.esp" after "JAWS.esp" in your load order. Doing this will help prevent "seams" from appearing in the water at certain locations.
This mod also retextures the vanilla slaughterfish and beefs-up their stats. The use of other mods that modify the vanilla slaughterfish might override some of the features of this mod, and vice-versa:
- "Deadly Slaughterfish v1": this mod is now superseded by JAWS. Please disable "Deadly_Slaughterfish.esp" if you are using it.
- JAWS mod is compatible with (and complimentary to) "Dangerous Slaughterfish Races" by zbenji. Put "Slaughterfish Monster.esp" before "JAWS.esp" in your load order. Note that my custom combat music won't be heard while fighting certain species from the Dangerous Slaughterfish mod.
- "Visible-Evil Slaughterfish Combo Pack": not recommended, may conflict with my own stat changes to the regular slaughterfish. JAWS mod increases the vanilla slaughterfish stats and introduces better textures anyway.
- "MZ Peaceful Slaughterfish": not recommended, it defeats the purpose of the JAWS mod. It would only affect the default slaughterfish anyway.
- "Slaughterfish RTX": not necessary, this retexture by TheRagGuy is already included in my mod.
- "Slaughterfish Mod" and "Slaughterfish Mod V2" by zbenji: not recommended, these mods use low quality 512x512 textures and they are superseded by zbenji's "Dangerous Slaughterfish Races" mod anyway.
Just copy the TEXTURES folder, "JAWS.esp" and "JAWS.bsa" files to your Skyrim DATA folder and activate the esp file. If the mod is active you should see a brief on-screen JAWS message after your game loads. To disable the mod, simply uncheck "JAWS.esp" in the Data section of the Skyrim Launcher. To uninstall it completely, simply delete "JAWS.esp" and "JAWS.bsa" from your Skyrim DATA folder, as well as the "data/textures/interface/book/jaws" folder.
I'd like to give credit to:
TheRagMan for his high definition slaughterfish texture which is included in this mod.
GameBanshee for their map of Skyrim.
- "Ambush" by Kevin MacLeod (incompetech.com). Licensed under Creative Commons "Attribution 3.0".
- "Five Armies" by Kevin MacLeod (incompetech.com). Licensed under Creative Commons "Attribution 3.0".
- "Showdown" by Kevin MacLeod (incompetech.com). Licensed under Creative Commons "Attribution 3.0".
- "Vortex" by Kevin MacLeod (incompetech.com). Licensed under Creative Commons "Attribution 3.0".
- "We Got Trouble" by Kevin MacLeod (incompetech.com). Licensed under Creative Commons "Attribution 3.0".
- "Clenched Teeth" by Kevin MacLeod (incompetech.com). Licensed under Creative Commons "Attribution 3.0".
- "Constancy Part Two" by Kevin MacLeod (incompetech.com). Licensed under Creative Commons "Attribution 3.0".
- "Impending Boom" by Kevin MacLeod (incompetech.com). Licensed under Creative Commons "Attribution 3.0".
- "Mechanolith" by Kevin MacLeod (incompetech.com). Licensed under Creative Commons "Attribution 3.0".
- "Medusa" by Kevin MacLeod (incompetech.com). Licensed under Creative Commons "Attribution 3.0".
- "Jaws Theme" midi loop by Free Loops (free-loops.com). Free for private or non-commercial use.
Other Mods by steve40
skyBirds: Airborne Perching Birds
EZ2C Dialogue Menu (with Deathless Aphrodite)