Last updated at 2:45, 23 Jul 2017 Uploaded at 0:45, 22 Nov 2011
Dark Brotherhood Chronicles: Awakening
Once upon a time, our name was whispered in the dark corners of the deepest caves and feared in the highest towers. Once upon a time, we bore the blood of emperors on our hands. Once upon a time, we were mystery, and secret, and the greatest in the Empire would gather our rituals to be allowed to grovel at our feet. Once upon a time, we scorned Mephala Herself, stole Her treasures, and found a master far beyond what She ever was.
Now, we are scattered, the Sanctuaries sealed. Now, the blood you have on your hands is that of your own family. Now, our secrets are broken, for we never saw the traitor in our midst. Now, the body of your master and mentor hangs in Applewatch, and the Night Mother herself scorns us for our failure.
Where is the power of Sithis now?
In the aftermath of the traitor's destruction, the Listener of the Dark Brotherhood now faces new challenges. Shadowy threats from without and little trust from within. The Sanctuaries have been locked, the Dark Family hidden. But still, someone has found them. Someone seeks to wipe the weakened assassins from the face of Tamriel. The greatest secrets of the Black Hand must be unearthed if the Listener is to save the Dark Brotherhood from extinction. Or perhaps he will aid the Brotherhood's greatest enemy.
The Dark Brotherhood Chronicles is a large-scale quest mod. It boasts many new NPCs, locations, and both a large main questline and sidequests, delving deep into the shadowed history of the Dark Brotherhood.
- Choice. You have the power to decide not only how to perform within quests, but whether or not to accept them in the first place. If you turn down some quests, they are no longer available. Save your game before talking to an NPC.
- Interaction. In some quests, the clothes you wear can affect an NPC's reaction. You can also taunt your target before the kill...
- Decision. Some of our quests are disturbing. These aren't your morally ambiguous, or even justified, assassination missions. In tDBC, you are a heartless assassin, and will be called upon to perform reprehensible and grotesque acts. However, there are alternatives to these reprehensible acts: you can choose the path your character takes rather than being shoehorned into a purely villainous role.
- Several new exterior locations and dungeons, including several new sanctuaries.
- A wide variety of NPCs, with their own distinct character traits.
- Custom rumours and greetings.
- Lots of books and notes that enhance the lore and expand on the recent events in the Brotherhood.
The quests that comprise the main quest are neutral until the end. Then you will be forced to make a choice that will earn you fame or infamy. Some of the side quests will earn infamy points. However, they are optional, so you can turn them down if you don't wish to do them.
If you wish to complete all the side quests, do so before starting the final quest. You will be asked to retrieve a dagger. Finish all the side quests before handing the dagger over. Awakening will end once the final quest is finished and the side quests will no longer be available.
tDBC is aimed at characters level 15 and over. Companions and enemies are scaled, but quests are meant to be hard so higher level characters are recommended.
See the Required Files section for links.
OBSE version 20 or newer
MenuQue version 9a or newer
Open Cities Patch
Roads of Cyrodiil Patch
A patch for ImpeREAL City Unique Districts is available in the Optional Files section.
If you are using the Skingrad Outskirts module for Unique Landscapes, grab the 1.02 or newer update as that resolves some conflicts with the area outside Skingrad.
French translation by Sita
Awakening is incompatible with:
- Anvil Bay Expansion (unconfirmed - assumed due to pre-patch conflicts with BC)
- Duke Patricks - Fresh Kills Now Alert The NPCs (this one breaks the final quest in Awakening)
- A Brotherhood Renewed (AI package conflicts - both mods are too similar to be run at the same time)
- The Return of the Dark Brotherhood. Same reason as A Brotherhood Renewed.
Minor cosmetic issues with:
- Reclaiming Sancre Tor (road passes under one of our locations - can go around)
The Dark Brotherhood Chronicles is being hosted at The Assimilation Lab.
Special thanks to:
Arthmoor for being at our beck and call to answer at least 10,000 questions for the last year and for stepping up and giving us a new home when we needed it most.
Our beta testers for playing through the entire mod at least 47 times. They are never going to want to see Awakening ever again. And a special call-out to omeletted for her thoroughness, being a royal nitpicker, breaking it in ways we never thought it could be broken, and methodically killing every single one of our NPCs at least twice.
Amadaun - Team Lead, Writing, Modelling, Texturing, Level Design
AndalayBay - Team Lead, Scripting, Quest Building, Level Design, Sound Engineering, Site Administration
Cray (KlausWulfenbach) - Team Lead, Writing, Lore Advisor, Critic
Ibsen's Ghost (Ibsen3) - Voice Acting
Sue - Voice Acting
Sunseahl - Writing
Vincent - Level Design, Modelling
Arthmoor - Technical Consultant
Vorians - Landscape editing and patches
Also a big thank you to the two previous teams who paved the way for us.
Ibsen's Ghost - The Hermit
Mick Mize - The Scholar (Antony Percival), Male necromancer chant
'Drea - Female necromancer chant
Remaining roles still in progress.
- Bethesda for creating Oblivion
- shadeMe for the CSE and Conscribe
- scruggsywuggsy the ferret for OBSE
- mr_siika for the Sanctum meshes
- Helborne for the Chitin armour and weapons
- Xiamara for the chair and sofa meshes
- Gildur and Demonmaster for the Anima Cyrodiili tileset
- Meo for the ceremonial dagger mesh
- Ren for the blindfold mesh
- Phoenix Amon for some of the book covers
- Emillia for various meshes and textures
- InsanitySorrow for various meshes and textures
- Qarl for his spider web meshes and textures
- TheTalkieToaster for the Spider Draedra NPC
- elveon, Malo, mikal33 and AlienSlof for the spider resources
- LHammonds, Sita and Jerros for the Paladin armour
- Klaus for his UI topic fixes
- fg109 (RandomNoob) for his help with scripting and quest building
- Unofficial TESA Clutterer's Guild for various meshes
- PrettyMurky - XML, Scripting
- Rahvin - Writing
- theinfamouskat (thechickwhopwn3dyou) - Writing
- Thomas Kaira - Interiors
- Ysne58 - beta testing
- Xae (Xaeaix) - soundtrack
- Elec0 - Modelling, Beta Testing
- Koniption - Modelling, Texturing
- Lareneg - Writing, Beta Testing
- omeletted - Texturing, Beta Testing
- Silver - Modelling
- Siulil - Beta Testing
- 'Drea - Writing, Beta Testing, Voice Acting
- Morrigain - Writing
- saebel - Critique and assistance in rewriting a couple of quests