Last updated at 2:05, 23 Jul 2017 Uploaded at 17:23, 22 May 2017
Bad Dreams? --Garrus Vakarian
Not really, Garrus, but they sure as hell are damn annoying.
A few years ago I had this idea: wouldn't it be nice to NOT have to follow starbrat around in the dreams? Wouldn't it be cool if, instead of the ridiculous significance placed on this kid, the dreams actually showed all the events during the trilogy that Shepard WOULD be upset over? The most horrific moments from ME1, ME2, and ME3? What if the dreams focused on Shepard re-living these moments of loss and his/her fear at what the Reapers will do to the galaxy if s/he fails?
Welcome to Better Dreams.
Better Dreams (BD) replaces the three vanilla dreams with a less annoying and more lore-friendly alternative. The mod’s main goal is to create a more authentic “nightmare” experience that feels appropriate for imported playthroughs. BDs is an ideal companion to JAMvB and MEHEM, both of which remove Starchild from the game.
When playing with BD, you can expect:
- Near-complete removal of "Boy"
- Dreams that don’t require player-interaction, are not in slow motion, and take about 40s to play out
- Content focused on Shepard’s battles, challenges, & mounting losses over the course of the trilogy
- Content focused on the Reapers and their goal to harvest and corrupt all major life in the galaxy
- Content that feels appropriate to your PT/trilogy run
- Appearance of Shepard’s LI in the final dream, when one is present (more on this below)
Better Dreams is for imported playthroughs, only. It won't hurt a non-imported game, but these playthroughs will get the original dreams, instead.
Players who have played both ME1 and ME2 will get the most out of BD. ME2-only imports will function fine, but BD assumes players are familiar with ME1 events and have experienced them first-hand.
Here's how the content featuring love interests works in BD:
- Standard romances will always be featured in dream #3, including scenarios for when a romanced Tali or Miranda perish
- Jacob, Samara, and Kelly, will only appear when BackOff is installed and certain decisions are made (hint: you must be faithful to the LI)
- Samara also requires Citadel DLC and her apartment kiss prior to the dream
- Variations for Thane will be patched in upon ThaneMOD v3.0's released
While I’ve gone to GREAT lengths to ensure all dreams will feel appropriate for each and every playthrough, there will be a few instances in which this won’t be the case. This includes:
- Using non-default armor or appearances for certain ME2 and ME3 love interests
- Skipping major side missions in ME3 (Lesuss, Gellix, Utukku, etc.)
I've avoided using this type of footage when at all possible, but sometimes it was unavoidable in order to feature the content that would feel appropriate for the dream.
Important: Please understand that I cannot make additional versions of dreams tailored to specific users. I will also not distribute the video project files. I might—at some point in the future—be open to creating a few customized versions for specific LIs. This would also include LIs who have undergone dramatic changes in appearance across games (ugh). Ashley is the most likely candidate for this.
There are two things I want to be very clear about, regarding the dreams.
First, I am not a professional video editor, as I'm sure any of you who are professionals will be able to tell. I also don't have high-end video or audio editing software. I'm proud of what I've created, but if you are a user going into the dream expecting something that only a professional who has high-end software is capable of, you will be disappointed.
Two, BIK videos have compression artifacts. BioWare's have them and mine have them. Rendering them through the game engine makes them worse. When you add this to the growing popularity of 1440p and 4K monitors, they become even more apparent. There's little I can do about this. If you expect perfect video quality at any resolution, you will be disappointed.
FYI, I won't be putting up video clips, since that would show essentially all of the mod and spoil the dreams. I have put up plenty of stills, though, so that should give folks a decent feel for what they will be in for, content-wise. Video quality can't really be accurately assessed from a still.
Better Dreams is a DLC mod, which makes installation quick and easy. Before installing, please note that:
- BD is made for English localizations. If you have another localization, use at your own risk; I cannot guarantee functionality, nor can I provide technical support.
- BD requires use of a DLL Patcher for ME3 DLC. This has been included for ease of installation, but many users will not need it.
See the Install Guide for further instructions.
Better Dreams is compatible with all mods released by myself, and any other mod that doesn't change the same game assets. Users should compare files across their DLC mods to check for themselves. Other DLC mods can override BD if they have higher "mount priority".
Better Dreams is NOT compatible with Shorter Dreams by Deager. These two mods alter the same game content. You must choose one or the other; you cannot use both. Before using Better Dreams, I encourage you to check out Deager's mod. It's well done and is a great option for people who want something more vanilla-friendly. Better Dreams is a purposeful departure from vanilla and will not be for everyone.
Better Dreams has undergone a good amount of testing, but due to the amount of variation in dream #3, I haven't been able to test each one. If folks run into any problems, just leave a comment and I'll take a look.
There is one known bug: When Shepard wakes after Garrus and Sam’s dreams, there is a strange audio artifact that results (I think) fron Shepard's shields refilling. The same artifact occurs after snuggling on the bed with Shep's LI in ME2, post-SM. I’ve been unable to determine how to fix it, so users will need to ignore this for now.
Better Dreams is brought to you by Giftfish.
Much thanks to:
Ottemis, Nephthysmoon, and Barddoc1992 for feedback and donating video footage
ThaneMOD and ME3Explorer forum communities for feedback and ideas
Deager, JohnP, and Kinkojiro for technical discussion
ME3Explorer Toolset Team, creators of the best modding tool for Mass Effect
-- BETTER DREAMS IS A NEXUSMODS EXCLUSIVE. --